ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY
I live in Harlem, teach in the South Bronx, and wake up around 4:30 to write for young teens.
A Mad Corny Dork
I've been a gamer since Pong. It's my dad's fault, honestly. I'm obsessed with #AugmentedReality, #Gaming, and #Drones. I actually say "may the force be with you" to people (out of habit).
I believe in public education. Before my years as a teacher in NYC, I worked as Special Assistant to a Regional Superintendent (region9). I also worked in the central admin of the NYC school system as the point person for charter schools. Before that, I spent 5 years as a doctoral student in sociology & philosophy of education (but never finished that PhD--ooops).
As a teen, I co-founded a high school "magazine" devoted to creative writing and expression (promptly banned by our school admin). As an adult, I've forced myself into the habit of waking at 4am to write. My students inspire me. I once stood in awe at the sight of a student trying to read Rick Riordan while walking down a flight of stairs. YES, I want reading to be that dangerous! So I try to write for and to youth, not about youth. And diversity matters.
Random Facts about Jude:
- Knows actual people named Orion, Jupiter, and Zeus.
- Grew up both in NYC and in Upstate NY.
- Knows how to start a campfire in the rain.
- Tries to hide an unhealthy obsession with world mythology relating to bees/honey. Don't ask!
- Started a website & listserv in 1994 that became the primary "online" source of information on charter schools during the 1990s.
- "Beta tested" dozens of video games.
- Lost most of his sense of smell at age 17-18.
- Brewed a lot of beer while at Wesleyan University.
- Witnessed the aurora borealis from the rocky cliffs of a mountain top.
- Sang in a lead role of a high school musical (Anyone Can Whistle).
- Survived being surrounded by howling wolves in the woods.
- Needed a lawyer in high school.
- Ruined the taping of a Romper Room TV episode by refusing to sit during Simon Says (she was wrong).
- Spent a lot of time hanging out at Mark Twain's grave as a teen.
- Had a crush on Lisa Bonet in the 1980s.
- Learned to ride a bike in Washington Square Park (NYC).
- Wrote a video game in 6th grade.
- Lived through three fires and two ceiling collapses.
- Once kept over 100 plants, mostly bonsai.
- Witnessed a woman in a motorized wheelchair cutting through 6 lanes of traffic while talking on a cell phone...and I forgot to take a photo.
- Created a web app called BiblioBasket, back in the steampunk HTML 2.0 days.
- Practiced zazen/meditation for many years (and is still recovering).
- Named his first pets (birds) Peanut Butter & Jelly (they escaped out the window).
- My dissertation proposal title was Social Epistemology of the Charter School Movement (okay, so like imagine post-structuralism as Mothra and Habermas as Godzilla, with feminist theory and John Dewey trying to figure out how to save the city with their bare hands).